Tuesday, January 17, 2017

We're Packed and Ready!

Do you know what utterly intrigues me?  I mean other than barbecue, Bourbon, history and the new First Lady's modeling career?  My children's luggage!  Well, I should say their logic and thought process involved in packing it. 

If you don't have young children, this won't automatically bring a smile to your face, but I just love watching my two little ones pack.  They even specifically asked Santa this year (aka Momma) to get them brand new, individual overnight bags.  These two love nothing better than packing a bag to spend the night somewhere, be it to Mammaw's, Grandma's, or a quick jaunt to Lexington for a mini-vacation comprised of swimming pool, elevator, and a television in the bedroom with everybody sleeping together.  Actually, it means Momma having a bed to herself while the kids pile on top of me for the evening.  They sleep well!

But it's the preparation for these events that fascinates me.  Have you ever watched a 5 or 8 year old choose the necessities of travel?  If not, then here is an unprioritized list of essentials for any stay away from home.

1) Pajamas.  No, you may not wear them, but they must be packed.
2) Pajamas.  I'm not senile just yet.  You have to have at least two pairs a night.
3) Underwear.  Funny, we don't worry too much about a change through the week, but when we travel, we must have clean underwear.  Uh, did I say underwear?  Well, actually, in our house they are panties.  I know, I know, we're breaking the gender barriers here, but any underwear is a pair of panties, Momma, Daddy, brother or sister.  We all wear panties.  That's the vernacular, so that's what we're sticking to.  I'm sure "panties" will become "underwear" soon enough, likely when the littlest one goes into 1st Grade next year, but for now, I'm pleased as punch to wear panties!
4) Underwear.
5) Underwear.
6) (You get the picture, lots of underwear.)
7) Monster Paw House Shoes.
8) A 3-Ring Binder w/Spiral Bound Notebooks
9) One single sock
10) Books, preferably Dork Diaries and anything about Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, with a few paperback "chapter" books thrown in for good measure.
11) Stuffed Animals.
12) A card game.
13) And yes, even we have entered the tech age.  Two tablets.
14) One of the American Girl Dolls we cohabitate with.
15) One "Teen Titans" t-shirt.
16) A handful of small toy cars.
17) Pencils
18) A change of clothes for the American Girl Doll.

Are we forgetting anything?  I don't guess.  We're already dressed, so clothes are taken care of.  Oh, snacks!  Somebody grab pretzels, Goldfish, and maybe sneak some candy out of the Halloween-through-Christmas overflow candy accumulation in the punch bowl. 

Lexie, oh Lexie!  Comere Girl!  No, you can't take the dog with you. 

Can we go now? 

Do I actually let them pack for themselves?  Of course!  Why would I deny myself this memory?

"Yes, Dear, the kids are all packed and ready.  Yes, Dear, I've packed my bag for tonight.  No need to look, I have everything.  What?  I know, we're staying one night.  Well, 3 pairs of panties isn't too much.  Yes, I know I put 4 pairs of socks in there, so what?  You never know what might happen.  What do you mean you know where the children get it???"



No comments:

Post a Comment